A Travellerspoint blog

Day 1 - Saturday, 27 June 2015


sunny 30 °C

After almost 35 hours from leaving Jalomy Street, we arrived safely in Barcelona. All went well until we went to leave Dubai. We boarded our flight only to find they had to deal with a “technical difficulty”. That to us translated to “problem with air-conditioning”. After sitting on the plane for two hours, they decided that the problem couldn’t be fixed so they took us back to the gate. We were given a voucher for some food and were told to meet the new plane in an hour and a half. So we tried flat bread pizzas which were quite nice. Finally we were off and I must say that six and a half hours were the longest ever. We were very tired so were pleased to be met by our driver who took us straight to Hotel 1898 at 2am Barcelona time. The shower was most welcome and bed and sleep awaited us.
Breakfast at Hotel 1898 Barcelona didn’t disappoint. Uncle Bill was mesmerised by what was available. Aunty Denise headed for the yoghurt, fruit and nuts. Ross was more reserved and had his cereal followed by his hot bacon and eggs. Me, of course, controlled myself and left the pastries until last. Holidays – where would we be without them?
Our hop on hop off bus tickets proved to be a great purchase. It was so easy. We headed for Placa Catalunya and climbed on board. We did the green route first that took us through the streets of Barcelona, to the harbour and out to the beaches. What a glorious sight with the sun shining on the Mediterranean, people skating and walking on the boardwalk. It was quite hot but with the occasional breeze on top of the bus, we soon forgot about the heat. A highlight of this route was the great unfinished work of the architect Gaudi, Sagrada Familia Church. Once we completed the loop we headed back to the hotel to grab some lunch. We thought we would give the much talked about “tapas” a go for lunch. The cafe next door proved to be a great spot. Once we ate it was back up La Rambla to catch the orange loop bus.
This bus went in the other direction towards the port, passed Christopher Columbus’ monument and up the hills behind Barcelona. There was a spectacular view to behold. Pity the bus went so fast!! To me, it looked like Athens with the crowded streets and the sea close by. Both of the loops took at least two hours so it gave us a very good view of the city from many vantage points and a good idea of what Barcelona actually looks like. We caught a glimpse of the Olympic facilities used in 1992.
Of course, we had to attempt to see if the tour guide for Scenic had arrived as there should have been a meeting to tell us what was happening. I hadn’t seen anything so was confused. We had just finished our gelato and thought we would return to the hotel. Luckily we asked as the meeting was happening. Tom, an Irish man living in Spain, outlined the events for that night and the days to follow. He took us for a walk into alleys behind the main avenue. During the day we managed to do some shopping and in the afternoon we tried to find another battery for the camera. We decided to have dinner at a restaurant on La Rambla. We tried some different tapas and then we were presented with a huge pan of paella!!! After much walking, bed was most welcome.

Posted by gpric6 22:22 Archived in Spain

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


Great to see you are controlling yourself and following due breakfast protocol mum! Sounds like a tops start to what will no doubt be a great trip. Bit worried you've checked off paella and tapas both so early though...
Love, us.

by the.macks

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint